[Nauty] Re: New nauty version limited release

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Sat Oct 30 21:38:01 EST 2004

I changed the copyright notice on the web page to match the one
in nauty.h.  I don't remember how they got to be different,

> Also, when students leave schools/universities, they will  have
> apply for a license or discontinue using Nauty ?

Yes, if they start to use nauty to make money for a company.  No, if
they just want to continue private research.

> Can you tell how  many permissions you have launched already ?

That's a commercial secret. But I have sold licences to companies,
(all of which money went into my research fund and none into my
pocket) and I have also refused permission to military research
organizations.

> "Weapons  developement or other primarily military purposes" is also
> inprecise.

Yes, but a precise definition is impossible.  They can ask and I will
decide.  They also have the option of reimplementing it from scratch
(a difficult task), since it is copyrighted but not patented.  (I am
strongly opposed to software patents.)

> Most people will (future tense) probably just use nauty to solve
> puzzles  in magazines or webpages. But it seems that you don't want to
> encourage this,  right ?

On the contrary, that would be just great.  The ideas behind the
licence are
(a) If someone is going to make money from my work, they can support
    the research that goes into its development (such as helping
    my graduate students to eat).
(b) If someone wants to do work I disapprove of, they will get as
    little help from me as possible.

Brendan.